Saturday, August 21, 2010

First Residency Reflections of a First Year DM Student

I have begun the journey to earn a Doctorate of Management at Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management and have just completed my first residency in Cleveland, Ohio.  It is difficult to find the words to express myself. If I were a poet I would be able to convey the range and intensity of my observations and feelings. Because I am not a poet I need to borrow a metaphor to convey what I feel.
I read a science fiction story by Ray Bradbury a long time ago and have seen the movie many times.  The story, called Fahrenheit 451, is about a society that bans books; no one is allowed to read.  I ask you not to dwell on the literalness or darkness of the story, that's not the point I am trying to share.
At the very end of the movie the protagonist - Montag - has gone through a journey from darkness into light. By creating this dichotomy Bradbury is able to set up Montag's explosive discovery of freedom. This feeling of exhilaration is beyond his expectations. He feels at home ready to carry on a tradition of passionate intellectual pursuit with those around him. It is a full and unexpected breath of fresh air.
 Adrian (Zeke) Wolfberg
D.M. Class of 2013
 Cleveland, Ohio
21 August 2010