Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Alumni Spotlight: Phil Cola Speaks with Candace Steele-Flippin about her Experience as an EPS Fellow and Practitioner-Scholar



Weatherhead Doctor of Management Program alumni continue to grow after graduation. In each new edition of DM Digest, we are proud to highlight the life evolving career paths of our exceptional practitioner scholars. For this edition, Philip Cola, PhD (GRS ’15),  had the opportunity to speak with Candace Steele Flippin, DM (MGT 16) an EPS Fellow, about her research, insights, and the role of her research journey.

How has your academic journey unfolded since your appointment as an Engaged Practitioner Scholar Fellow at Case Western Reserve University in 2016?

It has been an exhilarating journey of discovery and growth. Following my graduation in 2016, I was honored to be invited as an EPS Fellow at Case Western Reserve University, enabling me to continue my research interests and remain actively engaged in this vibrant community. 

What began as a quest for knowledge has blossomed into a fulfilling career pathway, and I am incredibly grateful for every part of it. Through EPS, I have remained deeply committed to research, focusing on the future of work and multigenerational dynamics, particularly among women.

Could you elaborate on some milestones you have achieved in your research activities since becoming an EPS Fellow?

Since becoming an EPS Fellow, I have been able to share my research and contribute to the ongoing conversation about the future of the workplace. My research has deeply impacted my journey as a practitioner-scholar, allowing me to contribute to important career dialogues and develop programs that support women and younger generations in the workplace.  

I published three books, "Generation Z in the Workplace," "Millennials in the Workplace," and "Get Your Career in SHAPE." Along with my mentor, Peter Whitehouse, I co-edited a peer-reviewed journal on Generation X. I delivered a TEDx talk in which I introduced my SHAPE Career Framework. The research in SHAPE has been adopted by a professional organization that will be used to develop a coaching program for Black women. I have given over 20 talks on the multigenerational workplace and have been interviewed by dozens of journalists. 

I was recently told; this work is a part of my legacy. I am glad that people find it meaningful.

What key challenge did you face during your research journey, and how have these experiences contributed to your growth as a practitioner-scholar?

My greatest challenge has been managing my research interests and my life. Engaging in research, publications, teaching at the graduate level, and speaking to leaders about the future of work is thrilling. However, managing my career as a communications practitioner, wife, mom, and community leader requires meticulous prioritization. I also needed time for myself. It is a lot at times.

I appreciated the advice that I received from you, Phil, to take a holistic and integrated approach to my research agenda. My research focus is now recast so that the questions I seek answers align with how I spend my time. My emphasis on publications, partnerships, speaking engagements, and volunteer opportunities is aligned. I am more focused and even more excited about where I am headed.

What is next for you?

I am doubling down on women in the workplace. At the start of 2020, women had surpassed men in the non-farm labor workforce. It was an exciting time. Then the COVID-19 pandemic started, and women lost ground. Especially, Black women. Some reports suggest we may never recover, given all the women who exited the workforce. I want to understand what is happening with women and how it affects work. 

The optimist in me hopes it is not too late. My new research agenda will inform the answer.

What advice would you give to the alumni community, particularly those aiming to engage in impactful research or considering a career transition?

Stay true to your research agenda. I encountered skepticism and criticism a decade ago when I embarked on unpacking generational differences in a workplace context. It was a nascent area. I was told that generational differences were “not a legitimate area of scientific inquiry.” I was told “it merited a magazine article at best or that the differences were akin to the zodiac.” Ouch. Instead of dissuading me, this feedback sparked a curiosity that led me to study generational values. Today, I am proud to be among the scholars and thought leaders in this space. 

Embrace every challenge as an opportunity. Research is an arduous process, and you are bound to face hurdles along the way. However, these challenges are also learning opportunities. Each challenge I faced in my research process enriched my findings and strengthened my resolve and skills as a researcher. I became more creative and built a network of scholars, leaders, funders, and organizations to support my research journey.

It is okay to say no. In the beginning, I was so excited that people wanted to hear what I had to say, so I said yes to everything. It was overwhelming. I don’t do that anymore (though I really want to). It is important to prioritize how you spend your time.

Take the leap. Your perspective deserves to be heard. You can always go back. You can't move toward your dream if you don't try.